UPSC IAS Prelims Notification 2017 – Civil Services Exam Dates
UPSC IAS Prelims Notification 2017 & Civil Services Exam Dates: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has released the notification of the Civil Services preliminary examination 2017 on 22nd February 2017. As per the official UPSC calendar, the candidates have to submit the application form by 17th March 2017. The prelims will be held on 18th June 2017 while the main exam is scheduled for 10th October 2017.
The Civil Services examination is conducted by the UPSC to select candidates to fill administrative positions in different All-India Services and central civil services including IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS, and IRTS.
UPSC IAS Prelims Notification 2017
Civil Services Exam 2017 Schedule
For Preliminary Examination
|Notification release||Feb 22, 2017|
|Availability of Application Form||Feb, 22, 2017 to Mar, 17, 2017|
|Release of Admit Card for Prelims Exam||May, 2017|
|Prelims exam of IAS Offline Exam||Jun 18, 2017|
|Result of IAS Prelims Exam||Aug/Sep 2017|
|Cutoff of IAS Prelims Exam||After the final result of IAS 2017|
Civil Services Exam Application form
The application form for IAS exam 2017 will be available from 22nd February 2017. The applicants have to apply online from the official website. The applications will be accepted only through online mode. To check how to apply for Civil Services Examination 2017
The number of vacancies to be filled on the result of the exam is expected to be approximately 980 which include 27 vacancies reserved for P.H. Category, that is, 7 vacancies for LDCP, 08 Vacancies for B/LV and 12 Vacancies for H.I.
- The Applicants will have to pay Rs 100 for applying to the IAS 2017 examination (except female/SC/ST/PH candidates).
The mode of Paying the Application Fees has been explained below:
- Applicants can also pay the Application Fees by cash at any branch of SBI .
- Print the system generated Pay-in-slip during the Part -II Registration.
- Deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only.
- The candidates opting for online mode for paying the Application Fees should pay by using net banking facility of State Bank of India/ State Bank of Patiala /State Bank of Travancore / State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/Sate Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
- The appearing candidates must have a degree from a recognised university incorporated by an Act of Central OR State Legislature in India OR Other educational institution established by Parliament Act OR announced to be deemed university under section-3 of the UGCA), 1956 or have an equivalent degree.
Age Limit- According to official notice 2016 (If there is change we will update)
|Category||Upper age limit||No. of attempts|
|General||32 Years||06 Attempts|
|OBC||35 Years||09 Attempts|
|SC/ST||37 Years||No bar|
|PH (Blind, Deaf, Orthopedic)||42 Years||GEN/OBC= 9 AttemptsSC/ST= No bar|
|J & K Domicile||GEN=37 Yrs, OBC= 40 Yrs, SC/ST=40 Yrs, PH=50 Yrs||No bar|
|Disabled servicemen, disabled from duty.||GEN=37 Yrs, OBC=40 Yrs, SC/ST=40 Yrs.||No bar|
UPSC Exam Calendar 2017-18
|UPSC Notification 2017||UPSC Exam Dates 2017||UPSC Prelims Syllabus|
|UPSC IAS Exam Pattern||UPSC Reference Books||UPSC Eligibility|
|UPSC Mains Exams Pattern||UPSC Question papers||UPSC IAS Preparation Tips|
|UPSC IAS Exam Application||UPSC Admit Card||UPSC Results|
For Mains examination
|Release of DAF||Aug/Sept 2017|
|Availability of DAF||Aug/Sept 2017|
|Release of Admit Card for Mains Exam||Sept, 2017|
|Mains Exam of IAS||Oct, 28, 2017|
|Result of IAS Mains Exam||Dec, 2017|
|Cutoff||After the final result of IAS 2017 exam|
|Date of Interview/Personality Test||Jan/Feb 2018|
|Declaration of IAS Final Result 2017||Feb/Mar 2018|
|Marks of the candidates in Mains and Interview/Personality Test||Feb/Mar 2018|
Posts the finally selected candidates will be recruited
- Indian Audit & Accounts Service, Group A
- Indian P&T Accounts & Finance Service, Group A
- Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Police Service
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group A
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Central Excise), Group A
- Indian Postal Service, Group A
- Indian Defence Accounts Services, Group A
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group A (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Revenue Services (IT), Group A
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group A
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group A
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group A
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group A
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group A
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group A
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Services, Group B
- Indian Trade Service, Group A (Gr. III)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group B.
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group A
- Armed Forces Headquarter civil service, Group B (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Pondicherry Police Services, Group B
- Pondicherry Civil Services, Group B
Selection Procedure of civil services exam 2017 will complete in 3 stages- Preliminary examination (MCQ type), Mains examination (descriptive type) and personal interview. The qualified candidates of preliminary examination will be called for Mains examination followed by personal interview for final selection.
Stage I: Preliminary examination
- A qualifying test advertised in May and held in August each year.
- In MidOctober results are published.
Stage II: Main examination
- Held in December every year.
- In the second week of March results are usually published.
Stage III: Personality Test (interview)
- Held in April/May each year.
- In May the final results are usually announced.
Numbers of attempts for Civil Services Exam
The number of times a candidate may attempt the exam is limited as follows:
- OBC category candidates = 9
- General category candidates: 6
- SC/ST Candidates = Unlimited
- Applying to sit the exam but failing to attend is not counted as an attempt.
- In the preliminary examination appearing to attempt one of the papers is counted as an attempt, including disqualification/cancellation of candidature.
There will be 4 Test Booklet Series A, B, C & D in the civil services exam 2017 preliminary examination. The question paper will be of MCQ type. The question paper will be available both in English & Hindi language. There will be a penalty of 1/3 marks for each wrong answer.
- The Prelims Exam of IAS will comprise of two papers: 1. General Studies (GS) of 400 marks, 2. Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT) of 200 marks respectively.
- All the question in both the papers will be multiple type.
- The question papers will be set both in English and Hindi.
- The Prelims Exam will be held for 2 hour time duration.
- The Paper-II of Prelims Exam is qualifying in nature and candidates need to secure minimum qualifying marks of 33 %.
|Name of the paper||No. of MCQs||Max. marks||Minimum marks||Duration of exam|
|General Studies Paper I||100||200||33%||2 hours|
|General Studies paper II||80||200||2 hours|
|General Studies paper II (X series)||80||200||2 hours 20 minutes|
The admit cards for Civil Services (Preliminary) exam 2017 will be released 3 weeks before the examination date. The admit cards can be downloaded from the official website for UPSC. To download Civil Services (Preliminary) exam admit card 2017 click on the given link.
Civil Services Exam Result will be published in the form of PDF file in the official website of UPSC after successful completion of examination. The applicants will have to search their roll no. from the PDF file. The successful applicants of preliminary exam will be eligible to take part in Main exam, which will be held in the month of October 2017. The examination result of Civil Services Main exam will be declared in the month of February 2018.
Civil services Mains exam 2017
The qualified candidates of civil services preliminary examination 2017 will be eligible to attempt civil services Mains examination 2017 which will be held in November-December 2017. The civil services main examination 2017 is qualifying in nature. A little description of civil services exam 2017 (Mains) is given below-
|Name of the test||Type of test||Max. marks||Duration||Selection parameters|
|Paper A (one Indian language to be selected from the languages included in eighth schedule of the constitution||Conventional||300||3 hours||Papers to be counted for determining merit|
|Paper B English language||300|
|Paper I Essay||250||UPSC will prepare merit list on the basis of candidates’ performance & high marks aggregate scored in Mains & interview.|
|Paper II General Studies I (Indian heritage & culture, History & Geography of world & society)|
|Paper II General studies II (Governance, constitution, polity, social justice & international relations)||250|
|Paper IV General studies III (Technology, economic development, bio-diversity, environment, security & disaster management)||250|
|Paper V General studies IV (Ethnic, integrity & aptitude)||250|
|Paper VI Optional subject Paper I||250|
|paper VII Optional subject Paper II||250|
|Sub-total (written test)||1750|
List of Languages
The examination is offered in the following languages, with the name of the script in brackets:
|Assamese (Assamese)Bengali (Bengali)
|Kashmiri (Persian)Konkani (Devanagari)
|Punjabi (Gurumukhi)Sanskrit (Devanagari)
Santhali (Devanagri or Ol Chiki)
Sindhi (Devanagari or Arabic)
The subjects available for Papers VI and VII are
|AgricultureAnimal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Commerce and Accountancy
Literature of any one of the Non-English languages listed above
Political Science and International Relations
Civil Services 2017 Exam Centers
- The IAS Pre Exam will be conducted across 72 exam cities spread through the country.
- The Mains Exam will be conducted across 24 exam cities.
- On the basis of “first-apply-first-allot” allotment of IAS Exam Centres 2017 will be done.
- The candidates should fill up the application form early to get their preferences of exam centres.
- While filling up the application form applicants will have to enter their preferences of exam centres.
- The candidates should note that no request for change of centre will be entertained.
- Aspirants will have to appear for the exam from the centre allotted to them.
The list of Exam Centers for Pre and Mains is below:
For Pre Examination
|AGARTALA||GHAZIABAD||GAUTAM BUDDH NAGAR|
|ANANTPUR (ANDHRA PRADESH)||ITANAGAR||RAJKOT|
|For Mains Examination|
Cut off Marks
UPSC will release the cut offs for Civil Services Exam 2017 to limit the number of applicants for recruitment of IAS examination 2017. Cut offs are the selection parameters that applicants have to fulfill to get recruited for the posts of Indian Administrative officer. Check Expected cut off marks based on previous year exams.
Civil Services Cutoff 2015
Share This article to UPSC IAS Aspirants who wants to apply UPSC Prelims for Civil Services 2017. Share UPSC Civil Services Prelims exam Dates & Eligibility Details to all.